Public Assistance

Am I eligible for medical assistance?

  • General eligibility requirements are:
    • Adults between 19 and 64 who are at or below 133% of the Federal Income Poverty Guidelines
    • Individuals aged 65 and older and/or blind or disabled
    • Families with children under age 21
    • Special medical conditions
  • Income basis includes such things as wages, social security or pensions but does NOT include Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, formerly food stamps; Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) benefits, among others.
  • Documentation required includes: 1) State ID;  2) Social Security Number;  3) Residency;  4) Citizenship; or lawfully admitted alien or refugee status; 5) Members of household

Am I eligible for food assistance?

Food assistance is based on monthly income and resources, by household size; income and resources can be somewhat higher if there is an elderly or disabled member. If you have very little cash and income, emergency benefits may be available.

Am I eligible for cash assistance?

You may be eligible if you are a citizen; or certain lawfully admitted non-citizens; a resident of Pennsylvania; and are 1) a pregnant woman; 2) have a dependent child and live with that child; 3) are a relative of a dependent child and live with that child. Eligibility is limited to 60 months (5 years) during one’s lifetime.  One must complete a plan for being able to get off cash assistance and with some exceptions, one must look for a job or participate in an employment and training program.

Am I eligible for utility assistance?

Heating assistance applications are generally accepted between the first of November and the end of March from relatively low income individuals. Payments are usually sent directly to the utility company or fuel dealer and credited to your account.

What if I am a victim of domestic violence?

You may be excused from some of the requirements for cash assistance, if you are unable to comply because of domestic violence.

Are there any work requirements?

With certain exceptions, one must routinely look for a job or participate in an employment and training program for food or cash assistance.